Friday, November 13, 2009

FIrst of Many

Today, was hopefully the first of many OB appointments. I arrived at Watson Clinic, and visited with the financial counselor to discuss what my insurance company will be responsible for and what I will be responsible for. This is the first child we'll be having with this company and I was impressed with their coverage.

Then I headed to the 5th floor for my appointment. I checked in and waited 30 minutes. Not too bad. I entered the exam room, and weighed in. I actually weigh more at the beginning of this pregnancy than the end of the other pregnancies. Hmph! They checked my blood pressure, which was normal, and asked me to put on this cute 'lil gown.

Soon after, the doctor arrived. He reviewed my questionnaire, and began his exam. In addition to the prenatal exam, I also had my yearly. Somehow I missed that appointment a few months ago. Which, if you ask my mom, isn't very surprising. All seems okay. Then, he started the ultrasound. I think I held my breath the entire time. I've had 3 pregnancies, one of which resulted in a miscarriage during the first trimester. So, needless to say, I'm a little concerned. We saw the sac, but he was unable to find anything inside. I didn't panic... yet. He asked me to empty my bladder and meet him across the hall so he could use a different machine.

I think I was still holding my breath when I arrived across the hall. My OB began this ultrasound, and we were able to see a little heartbeat! Whew! I felt so much relief. He is measuring 8 days smaller that he should be, but Dr. B said this could be due to not ovulating like the average person. So, now my due date isn't June
30th. It will be July 7th (Happy Birthday Keith!).

After the ultrasound I went to Dr. B's office to discuss the appointment, and go into more detail about my history. We discussed prenatal screening, and also discussed some medical issues I have. We have decided to do prenatal screening for Trisomy 18 and 21. Anything I do will be non-invasive. I WILL NOT risk this baby! Dr. B understands that termination isn't an option for our family. We had a slightly uncomfortable conversation, but I feel it ended well. I made my opinions very clear, and I think he respects that.

We also discussed delivery options. Unfortunatly, my only option is a cesarean. Even worse, I may have to deliver under general anesthesia. This makes me so sad. I have an enlarged heart, and if the mid-pregnancy echo shows my condition has worsened, I will have no choice but to deliver under general anesthesia. Which will mean, Keith won't be in the room for delivery, and I will be sound asleep when this little one joins us.

Tricia

1 comment:

Shelby said...

Uh! Im so jealous! I always wanted a 1st or 4th of July baby! I'm so excited for you guys!!!