Saturday, August 8, 2009

Eye Surgery

Bailey had her eye surgery yesterday and hopefully it was successful. She had her first eye surgery over a year ago, and after a few months we noticed it didn't work as well as we had hoped.

Here's how our day went...

We woke up at 4:00am! We showered/bathed, and I gave Bailey her breathing treatment. We packed goodies for the day and started our journey to St. Pete. The drive was nice. It was just me and Bailey. We listened to music, sang, and she danced. We arrived at the hospital at 6:00am, checked in, and we were immediately taken to her room. They checked her vitals, changed her clothes, and gave her antibiotics. Then we were taken to isolation(she's MRSA+). We met with nurses, anesthesiologist, and saw Dr. C. Then they took her back. She cried, and it broke my heart. She NEVER cries.

I waited in the conference room and within 45 minutes Dr. C came in to say all went well. So, I went downstairs, had a bagel and drink, then came back up. I waited in her room hoping to see her soon. Recovery is usually 30 minutes, but it had been an hour. The nurse came in and said I have been requested in recovery. Now I worried. When I entered recovery Bailey was being held by the nurse. Apparently the anesthesiologist was prepared to sign her out and send her to the short stay unit, but Bailey decided it would be fun to desat. So, once her oxygen levels became normal we went back to the SSU, and were soon released to go home. Now, I think I'll be a little more concerned if anesthesia is in her future. Until this episode, I was treating this surgery like any other day... no big deal.

When we got home she and I went to Subway for lunch, then we met Keith at Achievement Academy for orientation. I can't believe school starts Monday. It seems like she just got out. She has a new teacher. We will miss Miss Jody, but we're excited to get to know Miss Grace.

Here are a few pictures from this morning. One day post-op


3 comments:

Cammie Heflin said...

Precious family! Bailey is a doll even with swollen eyes!

Dustin and Kelly said...

What did she have eye surgery for? Both of my kids had eye surgery in January...one to remove a cataract and the other to correct strabismus!

Mom Of Many said...

I found your blog thru hopping and saw your precious baby. What a sweetheart. It made me cry! I will be praying for Bailey's healing. She is a treasure!

Our little 5 year old has had casts on for 16 weeks from toe to hip, surgery was about 6 weeks ago. He struggles with Arthrogryposis. He will finally(!)have the casts off this Thursday - we are counting down the days!

Anyway, I am sure it was horrible for you as the mommy to Bailey and I will be praying for you as well.

Blessings from Colorado,
Linny