Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bailey Part 4

We were blessed to have the pediatrician we have. I didn't realize how amazing Dr. W was until we spent time with him as he cared for Bailey. We only had well baby visits for Aubrey, so this experience was different. We saw Dr. W the day following our hospital release. He requested all reports from the hospital, and he spent over an hour with us. He did more during that hour, than any doctor did during the 4 days at the hospital. Dr. W eased my fears and sent us home, asking us to return in a couple of days.

We were in Dr. W's office regularly. He checked Bailey oxygen levels, her respiratory rate, and her heart rate. It was obvious she was struggling, but we knew we had to let her grow. Dr. W increased her caloric count, and we worked hard getting her to eat. Bailey had to gain weight.

It had been over a week since Bailey was born. During that time we waited for tests results to confirm that she had Down syndrome. Every appointment we had with Dr. W I asked for results, and he never had them. When the phone would ring, my heart would drop. I knew that call would be coming soon, I just didn't know when. On May 18th my phone rang. It was Dr. W's nurse asking me to hold for Dr. W. He said Bailey tested positive for Trisomy 21, and asked if I had any questions. I said no, and quickly got off the phone. I cried.

The next two days were very difficult. Bailey stopped eating. We tried everything, but she would refuse and fall asleep. We woke up every 3-4 hours during the night trying to feed her. I just knew she'd get hungry and start eating, but she didn't. We called Dr. W's office Saturday morning, but never received a return call. Finally, we decided to take Bailey to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital and they triaged Bailey. We were taken back immediately. Bailey was taken to the procedure room. Her little body couldn't be seen because she was covered in nurses and doctors. Is she really that sick? She just wasn't eating, but everything else seemed normal. We sat in the hall outside the door of the room. We watched through the door as they worked on Bailey. The doctor came out and explained to us that she was very sick. He had release forms for us to sign, and said they would be flying her to St. Joe's Children's hospital.

No comments: