Saturday, October 17, 2009

Bailey Part 8

These past two years have been a learning experience. I feel Bailey has taught me so much, and given me the opportunity to look at life much differently than I did before she was born. When we first received Bailey's diagnosis, I couldn't imagine the possibilities. All I looked at were her limitations. She wouldn't walk, talk, recognize her family. She would just lay around, and need constant supervision and support.

I was terribly mistaken. Bailey cruises, talks, signs, and recognizes her family, friends, and teachers. Bailey is very active, and yes she needs constant supervision, not because she's unable to care for herself, but because she gets into EVERYTHING! I love it! She keeps me on my toes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I also learned a lot from my new friends. I learned to fight like I've never fought before, and that Bailey deserves more than I was led to believe she does. I also learned what true friendship is, and I wouldn't trade that friendship for anything.

I couldn't imagine life without Bailey. I am so sad to think that babies like her are aborted, and people are missing out on the opportunity to learn so much about life. Plus, there are so many families waiting to adopt children like Bailey. I see I bright future for Bailey, and I thank all who have worked so hard to advocate for persons with Down syndrome. These people have allowed children like Bailey to live their lives to the fullest potential.

Tricia

No comments: