Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Alzheimer's Poem

Dear Dad
byJulie Western-Zuge


Dear Dad...
How can I tell you now,
Just how much you've always meant,
Just how proud I've always been


How can I tell you now,
That you have always been my hero,
Everything I want to be


Here you are, this shell of the father I once knew,
Whose face is more dear to me each passing day
Even in your pain making me proud, still


Your sense of humor endears you to all around;
I see the women who can now barely function,
The smiles that light their faces when you stop to kid with them.


What a man you are,
Still the greatest man I've ever known,
Still my biggest hero


Here you are, a victim of life's most hideous disease,
Yet you go on making others feel special,
Making a difference in so many lives


Dear Dad, can I ever be so great as you?
Can I ever let you know how much you mean?
You are one of God's most precious angels


And I thank Him for each day
He allows us to go on having time together,
As this cruel disease slowly steals you from me.



If you'd like to join us for the Memory Walk, or if you'd like to donate please click on the Memory Walk button on the side bar.


These past few years have been very difficult for everyone involved, especially for my dad. Nobody deserves this, especially someone who hasn't even reached the age of 60. I know as each day passes he will continue to face challenges brought before him. He will continue to be the great man he has always been. I can only hope he realizes just how much he is loved and needed.

Tricia

1 comment:

Kathy NC said...

My name is Kathy and I am 39. I am the full time caregiver to my Dad who has Alzheimer's and lives with me.

In addition to Dad, I have a full time job, 3 dogs, my love of 12 years David and his 14 year old daughter. I get overwhelmed a lot but try to find the humor if I can.

I am writing a blog which shows the lighter side of caring for someone with dementia.

www.KnowItAlz.com

Please pass this link along to anyone you feel would enjoy it.

Thanks!
Kathy